A few weeks back, I took part in the wonderful synergy created by three
concurrent events, the Catholic
, the Catholic New Media
, and the annual trade expo of the Catholic Marketing Network
. I was
able to attend all of the talks of the writers’ conference, as well as the
third day of the New Media conference, which focused on blogging, and also had
several opportunities to stroll through the marketing trade show, meet the
vendors (who had an astonishing variety of products), and pick up a huge
assortment of freebies (mostly books – how could I pass up free books?!?).
I met lots of wonderful people, and got plenty of ideas – too many, really,
and it has taken me a couple of weeks to recover! There was a palpable feeling that we've arrived at a new moment in which the Catholic faith can be communicated to the world in a fresh, new way, thanks to modern technology and the new media.
One of the results of this
great experience is that I decided to revive and spiff up this blog – check out
the new banner image. When I got into the blog dashboard, I found that I had
over a dozen drafts of posts waiting for me to finish and post at some
opportune time (the most recent post, on poetic imagination, was one of these).
I’ve also decided to follow through on a project I’ve been considering for the
past six months, which seems particularly appropriate for the upcoming Year of
Faith and the national elections this fall – I’ll say more about that, and
you’ll notice a new page on this blog when I’m ready to roll with it.
Meanwhile, I thought I would simply acknowledge the many books I picked up
at the trade show (a couple signed by the authors,* all except the first two
were free). Click the links to read more from the books’ publishers; I’ll write
a short review of each one when I get a chance to look at them.
- Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light - The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta
. Image Books.
- Doing Well and Doing Good: The Challenge to the Christian Capitalist, Richard J. Neuhaus. Image Books.
- *21 Ways to Worship: A Guide to Eucharistic Adoration, Vinny Flynn.
- *Wrapped Up: God’s Ten Gifts for Women, Teresa Tomeo & Cheryl Dickow.
- The Catholic Tide Continues to Turn, David J. Hartline. Aquinas and More.
- 33 Days to Morning Glory: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat in Preparation for MarianConsecration, Michael E. Gaitley, MIC. Marian Press.
- Preparation for Total Consecration to Jesus Christ through Mary According to St Louis de Montfort, Fr Hugh Gillespie, SMM. Montfort Publications.
- If Aristotle’s Kid Had an iPod: Ancient Wisdom for Modern Parents, Connor Gallagher. Saint Benedict Press.
- Two Statues, Brian Kennelly. Saint Benedict Press.
- Jesus at My Side: 365 Reflections on His Words, Julie Dortch Cragon. Our
- Faith and Culture in Catholic Education: A Guide for Catholic and Non-Catholic Parents, Frank Desiano, CSP. Paulist Press.
- Dover Pictura. Dover
Labels: Catholic Marketing Network, Catholic New Media Conference, Catholic Writers Conference, free books, new evangelization